Do you have your costume picked out yet? This is such a fun time to celebrate and dress up with your kiddos! This year, I wanted to share a few our my survival tips with you! These tips will keep you from feeling sick and defeated from eating way to much sugar in one evening! 🙂
1. Have a full tummy before you go out trick-or-treating or to your Halloween party. We all know that when we are full and satisfied already it’s so much easier to say NO to those sweet treats. If you are taking kids out trick-or-treating, have them eat a good balanced dinner with protein and 1/2 of an avocado.
2. Bring a healthy snack with you. Halloween evening can go on for a LONG time so be sure to come prepared. Pack some healthy snacks, some sliced fruit, some nuts, or a favorite snack to enjoy.
3. Have a plan for when you get home. It’s easy to indulge in the holiday but often we are left feeling sick and oh so tired. Give yourself the 1 treat rule, or make a rule that works for your 80/20 balance. If you are not loving the idea of your kids having 3 lbs of candy to eat over the next few days, consider a trade of some kind with them. Each year the ‘switch witch’ comes to visit… all you have to do is offer up a good amount of candy on the front porch, and the witch will come to trade your kids for something they have been really wanting!
Works like a charm… every time. And EVERYONE sleeps better at night. If you do this, throw the candy away. This is KEY. Because if you hide it, you will know where it is, and it will torment you until you finish it yourself. 🙂
4. Don’t forget the simple stuff like drinking water. Hydration is key always, but especially during the holidays and when you are having a few extra sweet treats.
5. Cinnamon and sugar pepitas. It’s so simple and makes for a fun snack for the kiddos. Just take a cup of pumpkin seeds and spread them out on a baking sheet. Toss with coconut oil. Sprinkle some cinnamon, 1 tsp coconut sugar on top. Bake until crispy and your kids will think you are a genius!