It’s that time of year… mid-July when we have the brief window of long summer days and shorts and T-shirt weather! If you are anything like me, then you try to PACK in the fun while the weather is so beautiful. With this, comes the possibility of ‘summer burnout.’ Think back-to-back camp trips, finishing those hikes or races you have wanted to do for six months, long days on the river, family reunions, travel and the list goes on!
Balance is key and this is something I teach my clients about on a daily basis. I call it the 80/20 balance. 80 percent of the time do the best you can when it comes to your diet and lifestyle. Eat foods you know will nourish your body and the other 20 percent of the time give yourself the grace to enjoy life! Have the glass of wine, the dark chocolate, the BBQ foods your neighbor cooked up for you etc.
Keep reading to learn my top 5 tips to keeping the balance during summer time!
1) Plan your week.
Look ahead in your calendar and see what you have coming up. If your social calendar is full be sure to build in space for some downtime. If your calendar includes a lot of dining out, ask to pick the restaurant so you can enjoy your social time out but are still nourishing your body for your 80% balance. And, if you are a Bozeman local, here are three amazing restaurants for healthy, real food in Bozeman.
Little Star Diner
Farmers Daughter Cafe
2) Prioritize hydration.
It’s so easy to start the day with coffee, but I challenge you to drink a 16 oz glass of lemon water upon waking FIRST. And for extra credit, you can follow that with an ancient Ayurvedic recipe that will support the body’s natural detoxification process. This tea is made from cumin, coriander and fennel seeds. Simply take ½ tsp of each spice and steep in hot water to make a tea. 20 oz daily.
3) Make a to-don’t list.
This might sound strange but it’s a really effective strategy to help you keep a balance throughout the summer. You don’t have to say yes to every social engagement, to every family member, to every farmer’s market, live music or festive event. Giving yourself permission to say no can be profoundly helpful!
4) Don’t derail yourself when out of your normal routine. Traveling, playing or camping can be harder to balance since you are out of your normal routine. We have all been there… sitting by the campfire and indulging in a few s’mores when that isn’t something you would ever typically eat. And of course, by eating a little sugar it starts the intense cravings for more more more. Eating healthy while camping can be easier than you think! I suggest always prioritizing veggies while camping. This can mean raw chopped veggies with some fun dips like hummus or my ultimate favorite cilantro almond hummus dip. I also love making ‘veggie packs’ in tin foil to throw on the campfire. Simply chop up your favorite veggies and drizzle with avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Wrap in two layers of foil and you have a delicious and nutritious side to go with your camp meal.
5) Take a break from your indulgent summer food and juice for a few days. Summer is the perfect time to give the body much-deserved break!! Check out the two new cleanse programs at the juice bar!
Recovery: Created for:
Healing from an illness | Pre/Post surgery | Auto-Immune | Needing a dietary reset
Locally made juices that are packed with nutrients support the body. These make for an excellent gift or meal delivery to share with someone in need.
Feeling energized, feeling light, bright and amazing! This cleanse will most definitely get you in the mood for SUMMER!
This is perfect for someone needing a dietary reset
ORGANIC Locally made juices that are packed with nutrients support the body. These make for an excellent gift or meal delivery to share with someone in need.
Want to try your own juice recipe? Try this delicious ‘Summer Dreaming’ Recipe. This can easily be made in a high-powered blender.