If you are thinking about a juice cleanse, you have already taken some amazing steps towards your health!
Before cleansing, I suggest slowly easing your body into this gentle detox. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Foods to Avoid
Wheat (and gluten)
1. Gluten = inflammation, causes weight gain, and throws off metabolism.
2. Gluten is linked to leaky gut (poor digestion and absorption), depression, skin problems and autoimmunity (especially thyroid.) 3. 50-70% of people are sensitive to gluten, and may not even know it.
1. Most people have a difficult time digesting milk and milk products (about 75%)
2. Conventional dairy has trace amounts of hormones and antibiotics.
3. Dairy contributes to acne, sinus congestion, ear infections and constipation.
1. Sugar promotes aging, wrinkles and poor skin health.
2. Sugar = weight gain. Excess sugar in the body is stored as fat.
3. Sugar is highly addictive, contributes to candida (yeast imbalance) and depletes energy.
1. In 1913 Soy was listed on the USDA handbook as an industrial production- not a food.
2. Soy = phytoestrogen (plant estrogen) and can throw off thyroid and hormonal balance.
3. Soy is 91% genetically modified (GMO) in the US.
Caffeine (green tea okay)
1. Caffeine = increased levels of cortisol which means more stress in the body.
2. Caffeine = blood sugar swings, and difficulty stabilizing blood sugar throughout the day.
3. Caffeine = acid (which can be linked to many different inflammatory conditions).
1. Alcohol affects the entire body- brain, nervous system, heart etc and is very disruptive to sleep.
2. Alcohol contributes to fatigue, weight gain, anxiety, dizziness and headache!
3. Alcohol = sugar and empty calories.
Here are some simple recipe suggestions to get you started!
1 c almond milk, coconut milk, raw milk
1 c frozen blueberries, raspberries or acai berry
½ frozen banana
1 T coconut oil
1 scoop protein powder (Orgain plant-based protein or Great Lakes Collagen)
Quick Chicken Stir Fry
1-2 organic chicken breasts, baked and chopped
1-2 cups chopped veggies of your choice: Bell Pepper, Mushroom, Onion, Broccoli, Carrot, Snow Peas
1 T olive or coconut oil
½ cup chicken bone broth
1 c cauliflower rice
Saute veggies with olive oil and broth on medium heat until tender. Add in chicken. Drizzle with tamari and/or sesame oil. Serve over cauliflower rice
When in doubt, think protein with lots and lots of vegetables.
Grilled chicken or fish with broccoli, or veggies of choice
½ cup cauliflower rice, gently toasted
4-6 oz chicken, grilled and sliced
½ cup chopped leafy greens such as spinach, kale, arugula
½ cup roasted veggies
Drizzle with avocado dressing
Brussels sprouts, onion, mushroom, beet, bell pepper, sweet potato, etc.
Chop veggies and lay onto a pan. Drizzle with avocado oil and a dash of sea salt. Roas on 425 for 20-30 minutes until veggies are crisp and tender.
Raw nuts & seeds (almonds, cashews, filberts, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds)
Fruits: apples, pears, seasonal fruit – limit 2 servings/day
Fresh Vegetables dipped in hummus or guacamole
Fermented foods such as pickles, saurkraut, kimchee