After spending some time in Italy, all I want is Italian food! I have been playing with soup recipes this week, and this has been my favorite. It’s much like the one you order at Olive Garden, but much much healthier! All ingredients organic of course. Check it out below:
1 pound of ground turkey Italian sausage or organic pork sausage. (I like spicy best)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 medium russet potatoes, thickly sliced, and quartered
4 cups chicken broth or bone broth
1 cup water
3-4 strips bacon cooked and chopped
1/2 cup grass fed raw milk
1 cup cashew cream (see directions below) or heavy cream (raw is best)
½ teaspoon salt
3-4 cups chopped kale
1. Brown sausage until cooked on stovetop.
2. In soup pot, add chicken broth, water. Turn on Medium/High heat.
3. Chop onion, potatoes and garlic, and add to the soup pot.
4. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
5. Add bacon, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Turn to low heat.
8. Add kale and cashew cream/milk mixture.
9. Heat through and serve.
This is a great alternative to cream in a variety of recipes and soups.
1/2 cups whole raw cashews, rinsed very well under cold water
Soak cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes. (Can soak up to 12 hours) Drain the cashews and rinse under cold water. Place them in a blender with enough fresh cold water to cover them by 1 inch (about 3/4 cup water.) Blend on high for several minutes until very smooth.